Manuscript Submission Instructions
For complete manuscript preparation instructions and guidelines regarding journal policy, please see The Permanente Journal’s Manuscript Preparation Instructions. (www.thepermanentejournal.org/files/InstructionsForAuthors.pdf).
NOTE: Please read ALL of these instructions before beginning your submission process.
NAVIGATING THE SITE
If you have never published an article with The Permanente Journal (TPJ), the first time you use the TPJ manuscript submission site you will be asked to register for an account, which includes creating a user name (e-mail address) and password. Please save this information and do not share your user name and password. After setting up your account and logging in, you will reach a "Dashboard" specific to you. The Dashboard contains a section "My Manuscripts," which gives a quick-view of all manuscripts submitted, waiting to be completed, with decisions, etc. There is also a link to submit a new manuscript or to submit a revision.
You may log into the system at any time to submit a manuscript or to check on the status of previously submitted manuscripts. To submit a manuscript, click on: "✭ Click here to submit a new manuscript."
INFORMATION AND MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED
- Manuscript type
- Keyword list
- List of Abbreviations
- Author info
Full names and degrees of all authors
E-mail addresses of all authors
Mailing address of corresponding author
Telephone and fax number of corresponding author
- Cover Letter
- Manuscript information: # of tables, # of figures, word count
- Conflict of Interest statement
- IRB Approval
- Manuscript, table, figure, and image files
- Author Forms completed by each author—Please complete online after submission.
- Reprint permissions, acknowledgee forms, photographic releases, etc, as required.
Before submitting a manuscript, gather the following information and materials (listed in order requested):
- Manuscript Type – Please see Manuscript Preparation Instructions for options and explanations—some of the required materials may not apply in some categories.
- Title – You may copy and paste.
- Abstract – If applicable, limited to 250 words. Most manuscript types require an abstract; please review the "Types of Papers" section of the Manuscript Preparation Instructions to determine if an abstract is required. You may copy and paste. The abstract should be included in the Main Document of the manuscript and must be copied into the abstract section of the submission form.
- Keyword List – A minimum of five (5) keywords is required.
- Author Copyright Form – Each author and coauthor must complete this form. Once submission is complete, an e-mail will be sent to all authors with a link to the Author Forms that will allow online completion of forms. If an author is unable to complete the forms online, please also go to "Instructions & Forms," download and complete the Author Forms (www.thepermanentejournal.org/files/CopyrightForm.pdf) and return to our office, either via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 503-813-2348, or US Post: The Permanente Journal, 500 NE Multnomah Street, Suite 100, Portland, OR 97232.
- All Authors
As stated in the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors Uniform Requirements (www.icmje.org/#author), credit for authorship requires substantial contributions to: a) the conception and design or analysis and interpretation of the data, and b) the drafting of the article or critical revision for important intellectual content. Each author must sign a statement attesting that s/he fulfills the authorship criteria of the Uniform Requirements. At least one person’s name must accompany a group name (eg, Thelma J Smith, the Boston Group). Any change in authorship after submission must be approved in writing by all authors.
- Full Names – First name (Given) and Last name (family or surname) (eg, Jane Q Author or Q Jane Author, not JQ Author or QJ Author), and degrees (please include in the "suffix" box).
- E-mail Addresses (required for all authors) – Please search for additional authors in the "Add a New Author" section. You must have e-mail address, author first and last name, country, and city. Note: The e-mail address is used to identify users, so accuracy is important. Coauthors not already in our system will be sent an e-mail requesting that they log in, complete their contact information, and set up a password.
- Postal/Mail Address – For the corresponding author.
- Telephone and Fax Numbers – For the corresponding author.
- Bios – For publication, author bios will be needed: if available at the time of submission, author bios should be submitted in a separate document entitled "Author bios" and given the file designation Author Bio from the dropdown list in File Upload. Bios should be 1-3 sentences in the format of: "Vincent Felitti, MD, FACP, is an Internist from the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Clairemont Mesa Medical Offices in San Diego, CA."
- Reviewers – This is optional. You will have the opportunity to list any reviewers you would like to designate as "Non-Preferred Reviewer" or as "Preferred Reviewer." You will need name and e- mail addresses.
- Cover Letter – This may be copied and pasted or you may upload a file. To upload, click on "Choose File," browse to find the file, double click, and then click on "Attach this Cover Letter." You will see the link under "Files attached: File name."
- Manuscript Information – Number of Figures; Number of Tables; Number of Words. This is required information; if there are no Tables or Figures, please insert "0."
- Previously submitted manuscript – Has this manuscript been submitted previously? Click on either "Yes" or "No." If yes, please have the manuscript ID number of the previous submission available.
- IRB approval – Research on human subjects that is not quality improvement based requires review of the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Documentation of IRB approval or exemption must be submitted to the Editorial Office. If there has been no IRB review of the project, please so indicate in the cover letter as well as checking the appropriate box in the submission process. In such situations, the manuscript will be reviewed to determine if IRB review should have been conducted. The result of this review may determine whether or not the manuscript will be considered for publication.
- Reprint Permission – For any material taken from another source, the author must obtain reprint permission. A copy of the reprint permission must be sent to the Editorial Office.
- Acknowledgees – Authors may wish to acknowledge those who make nonauthorship contributions to their manuscripts. These should be included at the end of the manuscript and an Acknowledgee form must be completed and submitted to the Editorial Office.
- Photographic Release – Photographic releases are required for any identifiable individuals in images to be included with the manuscript.
- Manuscript Files – In the "File Upload" section, you will need to choose the files to be submitted and then choose their "File Designations." You can browse your desktop to attach the files and then, when you are finished, click on "Upload Files." Acceptable file formats include: Microsoft Word (.doc) files and Rich Text Format (.rtf) files. Supplementary files, including tables, figures, etc, should also be uploaded here. Acceptable file formats are: for text documents: Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf); for tables: Microsoft Word (.doc), Excel (.xls); figures containing data points: Excel (.xls); all other graphic/image files: Adobe Illustrator (.ai), Photoshop files (.psd), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf), Joint Photographic Experts Group (.jpg), Encapsulated PostScript (.eps). Figure and Image file types may be: line art, gray scale images, and combination artwork. Figures and Images should be submitted at a minimum of 300 dpi.
If you are submitting ARTWORK, please visit our Instructions for Artists.
Forgot your password?
Enter your e-mail address to receive an
e-mail with your account information.